Hair Flat Ironing may be a big trouble for you on the first time. But don’t worry, just relax and simply follow this 6-steps ultimate guide on How to Flat Iron Hair to get perfectly smooth, shiny straight hair every day.
How to Flat Iron hair perfectly
How to Flat Iron Hair Perfectly
Step 1: Prepare your hair for heat
- Take a shower and use shampooing and conditioning products that are specially formulated to create straight or sleek hair
- Patting your hair dry with a towel to prevent excess frizz from occurring after showering.
- Apply thermal protection serum or heat protectant throughout your hair while it is wet to evenly spread the serum around your hair without creating clumps. I recommend Tresemme 7 Day Keratin Smooth Heat Activated Treatment, which provides moisture-enhanced smoothing and helps detangle hair for a salon-gorgeous look. Another option is Sedu Anti-Frizz Polishing Treatent with Argan Oil, which includes Argan oil to reduce frizz while it protects your hair from heat. It is very important to use heat protectant because it protects your hair from damage and makes your straightening smoother, shinier and longer lasting. A
- Blow dry your hair to make it as dry as possible with the best blow dryers. This step protects your hair from being shocked by the heat when flat iron. I recommend T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Ion Generator Hair Dryer, the best blow dryers that I’ve ever used.
Step 2: Prepare your flat iron
- Using a high quality flat iron that suits your hair type. Generally, high quality ceramic flat irons which are using 100% solid ceramic plates such as Hana Elite 1” Flat Iron will give you better result and less damage your hair. Use a flat iron that also contains titanium or tourmaline, such as Karmin G3 Salon Pro Black Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron, to make your hair shinier and smoother. For other best flat iron, check my ultimate flat iron guide and flat iron reviews here.
Karmin G3 Salon Pro Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
- Turn your flat iron on, then check the quick temperature guide table below to set the right temperature for your hair. Most best flat irons come with adjustable temperature settings, which will let you select the right heat for your hair type and style. The thicker and frizzier your hair, the higher the numbered setting should be.
Flat Iron temperature guide
|coarse or thick hair||380°F and above
|wavy or curly hair||350°F - 370°F
|medium thickness hair||330°F - 350°F
|thin hair||300°F - 330°F
|fragile or fine hair||240°F - 300°F
|synthetic hair||Lowest available setting
Step 3: Separate your hair into several 1-2 inches sections depends on the thickness of your hair. Pin up the top sections and start flat ironing hair with the lowest layers.
Step 4: Start your flat iron from the root of section, far away about an inch from your scalp. Be careful or you will burn your scalp. Always wear heat resistant gloves to shield your hand from burning. Use even, fluid movement to run the flat iron down the length of your hair. Remember not to hold your flat iron in one spot for too long to avoid hair damaging and undesirable folds. Do this step several times until the section completely straight.
Step 5: Repeat step 4 with other hair sections. Remember that a fluid, constant movement is very important to get the evenly best flat iron result.
Step 6: Finally, add a touch of shine spray or serum to keep your hair straight all day and boost your hair look.
How to flat iron hair – video guides
For more details and demonstration, see these how to flat iron hair videos below. It’s very helpful.
How to Straighten Hair Like a Professional
Learn how to straighten hair like a professional with help from Kris Sorbie, a professional hairdresser.
The Best Way to Straighten Hair With a Flat Iron
Learn about the best way to straighten hair with a flat iron. Presented by Jeremy Clark, a professional hair stylist and salon owner.
How to flat iron hair at home
That’s all. I hope this How to Flat Iron hair guide and videos help you a lot when you straighten your hair using a flat iron. If you have any ideas, tips or useful information and resources, leave a comment here to share with the community. Don’t forget to check my guide about how to curl your hair using a flat iron for more hair styling tips.